Sunday, September 11, 2011

Vulnerability

Today I am feeling vulnerable, as I would imagine many people are. Michael and I have been watching 9/11 programs all day yesterday and this morning. I feel vulnerable for many reasons. One is that these images bring tears, admiration, sadness, and all manner of emotion. These emotions make me feel exposed and vulnerable. But I don't feel weak in that exposure. I feel human. Such tender beauty in the stories. Such honor and heroism.

I am also feeling vulnerable about some new revelations in my personal life. I am also feeling courage about new choices and changes I am making. Today, I am meeting a friend for lunch. She said, "I am taking care of you today." She offered coffee or lunch or whatever I wanted. I asked for lunch. It was a big deal to ask for and allow myself to receive it. Today I'm learning how to say yes when I mean yes, and no when I mean no, and developing the fine art of building healthy boundaries around my personal time. I'll keep you all posted on how that particular stretch is working out for me. If you have any input on the subject, I would LOVE to hear it.

No comments: